Monday, December 11, 2006

PLEASE, JUST SHUT THE HELL UP

Airport authorities out in Seattle this weekend elected to remove a Christmas tree from their concourse rather than argue with an orthodox Jew who suggested they place a menorah beside it and, according to news reports, threatening to sue if it didn't happen. So, rather than test the argument in front of a judge, the authorities just decided to remove to point of contention all together. What a bunch of boneheads.
First, had the Jewish dude bothered to talk to his rabbi, or to his lawyer, he would have discovered his position to be extremely shaky. Both would have undoubtedly told him a Christmas tree is not a religious symbol, but is, in fact, a vestige pagan symbol. So the argument that he was cranking up to present to the court- that being, if the airport displays icons of one religion it give equal access to all religions, holds no water.
Secondly, the airport authorities were no less boneheaded. I mean, they could have just said "no." .... They don't have any trouble doing that when I ask about my Fourth Amendment rights when they want to search me before I get on an airplane, and that policy is on equally shaky ground.

3 comments:

RAT said...

LOL... corrections for Dick:

I neatly fold my copy of the Constitution before putting it back in my pocket.... my wife made me sew the hole back up... well, we're actually down to FIVE Black Jack Miniatures now... check on the trading cards, but I also have the bonus ones of Bobby Seale (he was the one chained to his chair and gagged by the judge) and Bill Kuntzler.... no calendar... I live on the Eastern Shore where we don't need no steenking calendars and no pictures of Bruce or Eddie, but I do have a copy of Mark Lane's Rush to Judgment and a copy of Abbie Hoffman's Revolution for the Hell of It.

RAT said...

In my daypack I have several Greatful Dead CDs, a LAWS rocket (it's kind of old and I'm not even sure it will fire any more) a CD of Jefferson Starship's Blow Against the Empire, an early copy of Anarchist's Cookbook, and a signed photo of Fidel.

RAT said...

your point is taken, Dick, but as long as their wasting my money doing illegal shit, I think they should waste some of it on me.