Wednesday, September 27, 2006

THE LINE BETWEEN BETWEEN CENSORSHIP AND FREE SPEECH

River Rat is correct. Censorship is a a first step to fascism, or any kind of totalitarian government. But he is wrong if he thinks the free speech concept, as it's applied in this country, allows him to spout any hateful language he pleases. It does not.
Further, the Constitutional protection of free speech applies to the government, not to individuals, so I am under no legal or moral obligation to provide a venue for hateful or disagreeable speech of any type.
That said, I will continue to provide a venue for social, political, philosophical and even theological commentary without restriction. But if and when posters go beyond those confines they risk ejection. You are free to disagree with my posts. You are free to argue your point for or against my, or any other, comments using whatever language you see fit. You are not free to engage in personal attacks. Period.

5 comments:

RAT said...

Saneman:
You're missing the point. I did not move to moderated posts because of "profane" language. I moved to moderated posts because of personal attacks, which were banned in my very first blog comment.
Secondly, I was not banned from the original, similarly named blog. I left because the blog-master banned certain words. Specifically, those words were "fascist, nazi, and repiglican."
With that ban in place, I thought the blog-master was too timid to address the social and political issues they posited.

RAT said...

hello TruthinAction.... how are you feeling?

RAT said...

TruthinAction: can you give me one quote where I attacked someone personally?

RAT said...

Truth:
I never attacked you personally because I knew who you were. I disagreed with you, true enough.
And I never even knew pussy was a bad word.... personally, I think it's a great word, it conjures warm feelings.
Did I use the word Nazi... sure did. I called it like I saw it, andf that 's weel within the confines of political speech. you didn't like it, so I moved on. No one is preventing you from restarting your blog... I tell ya what; if you decide to do so, I won't even leave comments on it... how's that?

RAT said...

yes, Dick you missed stuff.