Monday, November 27, 2006

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT: SOMEONE'S GOT SOME 'SPLAININ' TO DO

Three guys got whacked in New York City last weekend, and that's not unusual. But what is unusual is that the hit was done by cops.
Yeah, I know the first graf is inflamatory and wouldn't get by any news editor worthy of the title, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's inaccurate. According to news reports, the cops, who were all in street clothes, claim that the vehicle in which the men were riding struck a minivan full of the UCs, and it was after the vehicle backed up an struck it again that five of the seven cops present opened fire... 50 times. Here, I have to wonder if the cops discharged all 50 rounds before they realized that no one was shooting back, or if they stopped shooting in order to reload, or if maybe they just got tired of shooting. In any event, the guys that were shot were unarmed, this despite one news report that said cops were acting on a tip that one or more of them had a gun.... I gotta tell ya, the more complex this story becomes, the less believable it becomes.
In fairness, there are more than a couple possible scenarios by which this whole thing could have unfolded, but none of them make the cops look good. ... The thing about street cops is that they are herd animals, like sheep, or cows or a high-school football team in that they back each other up, right or wrong. And top some degree that's both a necessity and understandable -- except if they lie for one another. And it is in just such circumstances as these that the herd mentality comes into play and all it takes for an arrest to degenerate into a firefight is one cop to get excited or scared and start busting caps. If that happens, the other cops will too, because they trust their safety and lives to their fellow cops and if he fired then they have to believe that he saw a immediate threat that others didn't and they need to protect him.
Of course, this does not excuse or even mitigate their culpability in a reckless use of their weapons.
But don't look for any real sanctions against the shooters. They are, after all, cops and that group has done a lot PR to persuade the public they are heroes and flawless in their judgement. Oh, some may be demoted, and some may even lose their jobs, but in all liklihood nobody's going to jail. I mean, it's not like if you or I had shot someone who ran into our car. These are cops -- you know, Heroes.

16 comments:

swampcritter2 said...

Worse case scenario in this whole sordid affair would be if Bruce Springsteen writes a song about it.

joe albero said...

This is all you've got after almost a week, New York City News? You've got 6 murders in Salisbury and only one of them solved.

It's no wonder you have to go elsewhere to get "safe" news. God forbid you go up against this Mayor and Police Chief.

RAT said...

Joe:
I don't live in Salisbury, and so I don't give a rat's ass what happens there.... bunch of junkies and rock-heads wanna whack one another, why should you care. As a matter of fact, I don't see you offering up any solutions either. Wait.... don't tell me... since you a right-winger, your solution is more cops, more prisons, more death penalties... just light-up anyone who violates the law... is that it?
By the way, really nice eagle pictures.... too bad she could hev been kept in captivity by Scales and Tails.

Anonymous said...

Joe,
The Lefties won the election so they have nothing to write about except a bunch of cops who spend most of their careers with bulls eyes taped to their backs. Heaven forbid we sould talk about what the Dems plans are to ruin the economy, devastate our armed forces and give your tax money to a bunch of NAALCP crack babies. They can't write about it because they don't have a plan....ohhh maybe that is the plan to ruin everything!!!! have no plan. Just Great.
It's so much easier to take a bunch of cops who are working a stake out in the middle of the night in the middle of a rather large city and place them on trial in the media and convict them before they even have lawyers. It's even easier to do it from the ArmPit of the Eastern Shore, Snowhill!!!!!

RAT said...

That's the River Rat we're used to seeing. ... Yes, RR, you have it exactly right.... Hillary and I are even now conspiring to form a human rights group called Terrorists Are People Too. Then we're going to buy up all the property around you with tax dollars that you paid, and we're going to build a massive public housing project and stock it with negroes, junkies, arabs, voodoo cultists and unwed mothers with no teeth, then give them guns, drugs and whiskey and tell them the source of all their problems is you. Meanwhile, we plan to increase taxes on rich white Christian people and reinstitute a broad-based welfare system that you can't use because you're white and male. And we'll encourage dark-complected men to have sex with you wife, your daughter, your momma and your dog. And we won't allow anyone to fly the American flag, everyone will have their abortions paid for by you and police will come to you home to prevent you from praying..... have we missed anything?

RAT said...

oh yeah... we're gonna add a huge addition to Mount Rushmore... it's gonna be a likeness of Bill Clinton's turgid member. We're thinkin' 100 feet is big enough... how about you?

RAT said...

Monica just called and wants the statue to be equiped with some sort of plumbing so it erupts every 15 minutes and showers visitors. She said you and her will get together for the grand opening... is that okay?... You'd be a honored guest.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I don't see anywhere that I pointed to you, "the turd" specifically, I can't do that as personnal attacks are not allowed on this blog. I was speaking about Lieing Liberal news publishing Weenies.
Are you feeling Guilty or insecure there old Buddy?
You sure are having a temper tantrum, someone hit too close to the family jewels or was there actually a RatTurd in you thanksgiving Cake?

Anonymous said...

Seeing as you have personnally attacked me on this blog you should not allow yourself to post here any longer. At the very least you sould chastise yourself as you so freely berate everyone else!

RAT said...

I was just playing on your paranoia, RR... I don't see a personal attack.... but, what the hey.... yea, verily I am chastised...satisfied?

Anonymous said...

LOL,Accepted!
you scared me there RT.
I've been married for so long now I'm not sure I could stand a "Monica" from Monica.

RAT said...

how was your thanksgiving, RR... hope it went well.

Hello Wit... how are you?

joe albero said...

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah!

You're a great writer Rat. I don't care if it's news from Worcester County or Wicomico, put your abilities to some good use for once.

RAT said...

I'm flattered Joe... truth be told, I injured the tip of my trigger finger a few days ago and was unable to write... of course, there are plenty of people in this market who would tell you I CAN'T write... even more who would prefer I not write.... I'm a pretty decent investigative reporter, though, and I like to think I can write.

Anonymous said...

Thanksgiving was fine.
Relatively Sober.
No Turds in my Pumpkin Pie.
Came home tonight to 2 big does hanging in my Garage for me to Skin and butcher.
I love my friends, I tell them I'd like to have some Venison and they send me half the herd!

RAT said...

Ooooooo. I love deer chops. The wife won't eat venison, though