Tuesday, October 24, 2006

SON(NY) RISES AGAIN AND STILL DARKNESS RAINS

Oh you knew Sonny Bloxom wouldn't stay in the political shadows for long... Here he is in this morning's Daily Crime (it's a crime to call it a newspaper) pimping the same old fear and conservatism. The Eastern Shore is overwhelmingly conservative, he says, and Jim Mathias and Norm Conway do not represent those values. But everything is relative and I think they are conservative. Too much so.
Mathias, in particular, has a nasty habit of supporting business interests over those of the individual, and so if he is liberal it is only in the context of say, comparing him to John Assho... uh, make that John Ashcroft, Pat Robertson, or Eastern Shore politics.... As one woman observed, "even the Demeocrats here are Republicans."
Here's the thing, the region is changing, both politically and socially. And the old ways, while they may have some merit, are going to change to meet the perspective of those who are moving here. Like it or not, things change. They changed during your parents' time and your grandparents' time, and they'll continue to change long after we're all gone. It's part of the human condition, and we can't stop it. But we can adapt.... Notice that word, adapt. It is not synonymous with "adopt." You needn't change your religion, your morals, or your ethics (although, God knows some of you should change them) in order to adapt. You simply have to change your thinking. Get past your xenophobia. Get past thinking that the old ways are the only ways. Progress.

14 comments:

RAT said...

... First, this blog is about political and social issues... All three of the named individuals are voluntarily in the public arena holding themselves out as leaders. That makes them fair game for commentary. Hey, I like Sonny too. I have no score to settle with him or any other person. I don't agree with his politics. That is All.
As for Hancock and Lee... in my experience, they are both untrustworthy, dishonest and cowardly.

RAT said...

okay: River Rat is a liberal weenie.....nope, didn't make me feel better.

RAT said...

River Rat: WHy do you think it necessary that I subscribe to anyone else's political views?

RAT said...

.....and that's your opinion, RR. It's not necessarily correct, but it is an opinion.

RAT said...

Not Clever: No, I wrote it like I meant it.

RAT said...

Well, since I wrote it, SewerRat, it is as it was originally written.

RAT said...

what's the point in writing another post.... you'll just whine because it doesn't fit your redneck sensibilities.

RAT said...

Funny thing about that... I was thinking roughly the same thing about you...

RAT said...

harrumph indeed, Dick.... Did you ever see Young Frankenstein.... "Can I get a Harumph?"
Well, I can trace my southern heritage back eight generations, but ah don't really believe weah talkin' about cahpetbaggas, suh. Weah talkin' about sumthin' much wuus. Namelah, pointy-headed imtellectuals, with educations and money and the lahk. And they-yah goin' to baa up all the layand and make y'all pay taxes and wear shoes and undergahments and such. And hail, next ya know theyall want ya children to attend school and learn english and everything... I tell ya, this world is acomin' to an end.

RAT said...

No, Dick. I'm not a closet redneck and I don't own a pickup truck. Although I could use one from time to time. And just because I can trace my southern roots back 8 generations, it doesn't mean I wave the stars and bars. I don't.
My people come from a little higher on the evolutionary... founded the city of Charleston WV, have two university buildings named for them (different universities) and one ancestor was dismissed as president of Washington (now Washington Lee) University for delivering a speech on why slavery would ultimately bring about the downfall of the southern economy.

RAT said...

well then, your family might know my family..... Hell, it's West Virginia.... you might be a member of my family... just like here: 60,000 people and 11 last names.

RAT said...

Symmy;
Anyone who calls themself a "born again" is automatically out as far as I'm concerned... For too long the so-called Christians have influened national politics with their right-wing agenda. Do it say that America is the land of the chosen people and are entitled to rule the world with narrow thinking and and military might. When a candidate professes his religion as guidence for his political decisions, he has crossed the line seperating church and state..... that candidate is unfit for office.

RAT said...

Damn Symmy, I admire you. I wish I had your faith in the Bill of Rights.... well, actually I do. But I don't have faith that the Bill of Rights will even be in effect next year, if the fascists in the Whitehouse have their way. Just let me make clear that I don't reject a candidate based upon their religion, I reject a candidate when they prostitute their religion to win votes. I reject a candidate when they list their religion as an unspoken , but cleary implied, character reference... as if his subscription to a religion puts him above fraud, graft and twisted sexual proclivities.....

RAT said...

Cannon are very difficult to get.... now, land mines are a dollar a dozen. hehehehehe.... just kidding, NSA