Friday, October 06, 2006

"LIFE IS LIKE A SHIT SANDWICH...."

The more bread you have, the less shit you have to eat.
Those were the words that came to mind as I read the story in today's Daily Crime about Ocean Pines attorney Christopher Llinas. Llinas, a former member of the Ocean Pines board of directors, was sentenced this week for his role in what the federales called a major drug distribution ring based in Salisbury. Two years of probation, with one of those years to be served on home detention. By contrast, his co-defendants caught 70 months and 14 years in the federal system where there's no parole. Relatively speaking, this is less than a slap on the wrist. Hell, the judge just about gave him a rim-job as he was leaving the courtroom.
This is not to suggest, however, I think he should have gotten prison time, only that all those who were convicted should have gotten similar sentences, whether it was a prison cell or a walk in the park..... But that's not how the legal system works in this country. The way it works is that Justice is not blind, it's just myopic and refuses wear a either blindfold or corrective lenses. So, if you come before the court and you're poor then you're a nigger, regardless of skin tone, and will be dealt with harshly. But if you have means, or if you're a cop, the judge will cite the all good you've done with your life, say you just made a mistake and send you home with a relatively minor penalty.... But that's not the truth, is it? The truth is that that lawyer, that cop, that clergyman, that member of congress used his position of trust and power to prey on others, and he should receive a sentence commiserate with that received by the lowest street criminal. ... If you serve up shit to others, you gotta eat a full portion yourself.

5 comments:

Oceanshaman said...

The guy who got 70 months was the one who flipped, and that result was far below his guidelines.

The guy who got 14 years was the leader of the drug ring. That was the low end of his guidelines. He also got an additional year for a separate indictment involving moving stolen property across state lines.

Two other guys who were street level dealers got 57 months and 144 months, which were the low end of their guidelines.

Finally, the leader's wife got 12 months home detention for money laundering. Her guidelines were 12-18 months.

Llinas's guidelines were 10-16 months. Why he got what he got I cannot say. Perhaps a transcript of the judge's comments might help.

I can say this: The judge who sentenced Llinas, Republican Dick Bennett, is a pretty tough judge. He sentenced Ed Norris, former Baltimore City Police Commissioner, to 1 year (6 months icarceration, 6 months home detention) when the low end of Norris's guidelines called for a year, and Norris was asking for home detention only.

RAT said...

like I said, it just supports my point... the street level guys get the biggest time because they were poor and powerless.

sparkly1 said...

This story caught my attention. In December of 2002 I received a phone call from my daughter telling me that her Daddy had "rubbed her pee pee." The SPD said they didn't see anything wrong and did nothing. Throughout the weekend I made numerous calls to my ex trying to talk to my children and find out what was going on. I SPENT 3 MONTHS IN JAIL and had NEVER been in trouble before in my life! To hear that call yourself check out my blog. I think Llinas should have done time.

Oceanshaman said...

sparkly1,

I checked out your blog, and sympathize with your situation. Your children are in my prayers.

I also checked out your situation in Maryland's criminal system. It appears you have had a number of criminal cases involving your ex-husband. Many ended in stets and nol prosses. Two resulted in convictions. Interestingly, it appears Mr. Llinas represented you in one of those cases where you got a stet.

I'd be interested to know what you thought of Llinas as an attorney. I know of him but don't know him personally. I know two people who were represented by him and they had good things to say about him. Plus I know folks in the Pines who think highly of him. This doesn't jive with what we're reading in the papers. Looks like the drugs did him in.

sparkly1 said...

Yes he got me off, but I was innocent in the first place. He showed up late, I was afriad he was not going to make it! THanks for checking out my blog. I hope you found my criminal record interesting. The ex would call my house calling me the town whore, saying youngest daughter wasn't his child. He was having an affair with my cousin. Paternity tests proved that to be a lie. When I would call him back he would record the phone call. I begged my attorney to make him stop but she advised me not to bite the hand that feeds me as I was getting alimony. My ex used to come to my house create a fiasco and then have me arrested. I hope you listened to the sound bite. He has portrayed me as vindictive, even when I was in jail he had me drug tested and tried to get me thrown out of work release. He also called my probation officer over 100 times. Yet, I am not allowed to press any charges against him. Thanks for your prayers.