Wednesday, November 08, 2006

THE MORNING AFTER THE NIGHT BEFORE

So here we are.... and things turned out pretty much as I thought they would. More to the point, they turned out like they did for the reason I thought they would.... I spent election day doing exit polling in Worcester County and the one point that became clear very early in the day was there midterm election were a referendum on the president and his policies. Two questions on the exit poll made that point clear. .. One was whether or not voters came to the polls to express support or dissatisfaction with the president, and yikes, those who responded that the president's performance had not role in their vote were in the low dingle digit percentages. The overwhelming majority responded that it did... I was too busy to get a clear idea of how the numbers went pro or con for the president, but my impression is that voter were mostly dissatisfied with the White House shrubbery.
And that impression takes on added weight when we consider the other question, which dealt with the occupation of Iraq... We saw a lot of teeth gnashing and outright vocal anger in response to that question. Although I was in a solidly conservative precinct, support for the war and the president's policy was nearly non-existant.
There are a couple more numbers I want to see in order to further validate my observations, but they'll come in the next day, or so. One is the percentage numbers on total voter turnout, and the second is the percentage numbers on voter turnout by party.

1 comment:

RAT said...

um... okay