Friday, October 13, 2006

SHUT UP OR WE'LL SLAPP YOU WITH A LAWSUIT

In a none-too-subtle hint, the Daily Crime prints a story in today's paper about bloggers being sued over what they write. .... The story is not merely an accident of happenstance, comng as it does while Charles Jannace, aka Hadley Whiplash, or whatever, is pimping himself as a write-in candidate for county executive, all the while continuing to hammer the city's elected officials for transgressions real and imagined.
Listen , I don't agree with Jannace at all. I think his right-wing political views would be laughable if so many others didn't believe as he does. I think his ideas are ill-conceived and poorly expressed and down right stupid. Nevertheless, he has a constitutional right to express his political opinions, no matter how stupid they may be.
Unfortunately, that right frequently bumps noses with another right we have in this country; the right to sue. Anyone can sue anyone else for, it seems, any reason. That means the government can and will sue citizens if they make a pain of themselves. The ACLU even has an acronym for the tactic. It's called a SLAPP suit, short for Strategic Litigation Against Public Participation, and it's particularly effective against individuals and small independant newspapers. The object of such a suit isn't necessarily to win, but to shut the offending party up by draining their wallets with the legal fees and costs associated with defending a lawsuit. It is the politics of deep pockets-- it's not about who's right and who's wrong. It's about who has the money to spend.
I don't know if the tactic has hit the blogosphere yet, but I do know that at least one local government has employed it against a newspaper and a freelance reporter.
So be careful how loudly you complain about elected officials or corporations. They have lawyers and are not afraid to use them.

6 comments:

joe albero said...

This post is rediculous. Charles Jannace has a very good chance of winning but like you said, freedom of speech is important and even you have the right to your own opinion.

More importantly on this matter, if you think any of the Bloggers are afraid of Barrie Tilghman, (AKA the Witch and her Flying Monkeys) you're nuts. Barrie is an idiot for even trying to suggest she's a threat and I say, bring it on Barrie. No one has broken the law and she's barking up the wrong tree.

RAT said...

River Rat: I don't need a script writer, but thanks for recognizing the talent.... and what makes you think I'm a liberal?

Joe: Welcome. I like some of your photos.... as to Jannace, I don't follow his rants on Salisbury. I don't live in that area so I don't give a rat's ass about it. I was speaking about his occasional right-wing comments in support of the Rush and Anne "Anitastiffy" Coulter.
As to his candidacy-- I'm dubious. ... I hear he's an attorney. So I wonder why he would set his practice aside to become a wage slave.... And the only reasons that come to mind are that he has no practice, or that he's not making enough money. But it's common knowledge that good lawyers make good money....you see where the logic takes us, don't you?
I also wonder what will happen to his blog if he's elected.... I mean, only a rabid dog would continue to chew on the hand that feeds him.... As to my original post; I wasn't suggesting that bloggers be afraid, only aware.

RAT said...

River Rat: Where's the rest of your post--- you know, the substance, the meat and potatoes? And where's YOUR constructive criticism?

RAT said...

River Rat: have you stopped taking your medication.... maybe you ran out.... there's public health programs available to help you get your meds.... thanks to the liberals.

joe albero said...

ratturdinthecake,

What pleases me personally over this whole issue is the mere fact that Charles will clearly take a ton of votes away from Alessi.

The other thing that pleases me is the FACT that I have PISSED OFF Ollinger, Alessi and several other people involved in his campaign because I out smarted all of them. Do you really think he's a better businessman than me? November 7th will prove just who's smarter!

I can't wait for the lawsuit against me from Alessi claiming I am the reason he lost the campaign and you know what, he's right, I am the reason he lost. I take all credit for that and to the Citizens of Wicomico County, you're welcome.

Forget all the lawsuits he has produced against the City. Forget all the lawsuits against him personally. I have sat in Zoo Commission Meetings for years and have been subjected to this Idiot running a baby day care center for animals. Honest to God Folks, Ron Alessi flat out told me very recently, "I don't know anything about animals Joe." IDIOT!

Nevertheless, Joe Albero just won this race, like it or not. Rick Pollitt and or Charles Jannace will do a fine job running the County and I'm very proud to know both men. Ron Alessi is an Idiot, period. Joe Ollinger is an even bigger Idiot though.

My personal opinion would be, if Pollitt wins, he should hire Jannace. If Jannace wins, he should hire Pollitt. Forget BJ Corbin! BJ never showed his loyalty to anyone and if it were me in their shoes, you're either with me or you're not. BJ needs to look elsewhere for a job! Jannace and Pollitt would be an unstoppable team!

RAT said...

Unstoppable team.... yes. Well, this country already has an unstoppable team in the Whitehouse, and just look at the damage they've done.... and they won't stop...thank God for regularly schedule elections....as to Jannace; my questions have still not been answered.... not that it matters to me, except that his right-wing diatribes mark him as unfit for office.... but hey, I don't live there so voters are going to get the government they deserve.