Wednesday, September 06, 2006

FOX TAKES A STEP ONTO THE SHORE AND TV NEWS TAKES A STEP BACK INTO THE SEWER

Gird up your loins Come-Heres, because beginning Friday local cable television will cease carrying Channel 5 out of Washington. In its place will be Fox 21, sister station to the laughable WBOC. This hurts my heart - not because I'm a fan of Fox News but because I loathe what passes for local news broadcasting. Anyone who watches Fox 5 News out of DC in the mornings can immediately see the difference between the professional newspeople in DC and the Hee Haw imitation here. Even more, given the tight-assed conservative perspective already inflicted on viewers by Steve Whats-His-Name on WBOC, the prospect that the new channel will be unabashedly right wing increases the bile in me so much that I think I'm going to Ralph. This is just great, gone will be the last daily vestige of news from the center of the political universe and in its place will be .... what? Repiglican spin doctors?

1 comment:

RAT said...

Listen, I don't mind listening or watching someone else's version of the "news." What I mind is that it's delivered in a haphazard, sloppy and incomplete fashion.... I freaking HATE the local TV news. Channel 47 is not even worth mentioning as a news source, and I'd be willing to bet real money that the majority of crap that WBOC inflicts on us is nothing more than a "rip and read." That is, they rip press releases out of the fax maching and read them on the air as news. It doesn't take a newsman to read PR copy on the air. It doesn't even take much of a brain...it just takes a talking head, and that's all that Steve Whats-His-Name is. With God knows many years under his belt as a braodcaster, he engenders no confidence or believability, and I can't understand why he's still there. Although, God knows he would never make it in the DC market as a newsman.